David Goggins is a retired Navy SEAL who has also completed Army Ranger School and Air Force Tactical Air Controller training. In addition, he is a world-class ultra-marathon runner. I recommend watching this short speech by him and listening to the Unbeatable Mind Podcast featuring him.
I also recommend his book Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds.
Overall, Goggins is quite extreme and he has made some very imprudent training decisions. But nevertheless he has overcome extreme adversity:
1. He has the sickle cell trait.
2. For most of his life, he had a poker-chip-sized hole in his heart.
3. His father physically abused him and his mother.
4. He attended virtually an all-white high school in Indiana, where he was bullied mercilessly, repeatedly called the n-word, etc.
5. He graduated from high school with a 0.90 GPA, since he missed so many days of school due to the bullying.
6. His mother worked three jobs while going to college.
7. At BUD/S, he repeated Hell Week twice (so three times total).
8. He completed part of Air Force Pararescue training and then found out he had the sickle cell trait, which led to him ultimately dropping out.
9. He lost almost 100lb in two months when he wanted to become a SEAL and had only two months left to enlist in the Navy.
In virtue of overcoming all this adversity, he demonstrates extreme mental toughness, mental fortitude, mental resilience, and mental tenacity.
Last revised 1/29/2019